A few month’s ago we took my Dad out to Trattoria al Forno where we shared some delicious appetizers and pizzas. It was all amazing — but what really caught my attention were these little pickled sweet peppers.
The appetizers only brought 3, so I had to share, but took note that I needed to figure out how to make these at home.
After some time on Pinterest I found out that pickling requires a lot of sugar (really?) and can be a bit of a process.
As I am a bit of a lazy cook (always looking for a shortcut!) I tried out a few different things and found a recipe — which turned out just like the ones that we had that night!
All the recipes I found wanted me to boil tons of sugar and water. Let it cool. And then continue the process. I was able to cut back on a lot of the sugar and skipped the boiling portion.
The end results = delicious pickled peppers! Quick + Easy!
- 8oz serving of sweet peppers
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
- pint sized mason jar
- Wash and slice 8 ounces of sweet peppers. I sliced them thin so that they would get a bit softer.
- Place sliced peppers into a pint sized mason jar.
- Pour 1 cup of white vinegar. Add in sugar and sea salt.
- For a little extra spice feel free to sprinkle a bit of pepper flakes.
- Seal the jar and shake for about 20-30 seconds until all the sugar and salt are dissolved in this mixture.
- Place jar in the fridge for about 24 hours. Then enjoy! Its a nice topping for homemade pizzas, salads, or for snacking. :)
Now that I discovered this easy recipes I always have a jar of peppers in the fridge!