Last week I shared a few tips on how to manage your inbox and keep it under control. The tips shared are all things that I do to keep things clutter free, but the main one that I use is the “Canned Responses” one.
This feature in Gmail has saved me so much time!
So today I wanted to share a little tutorial on how easy it is to turn this feature on and use it! Setting it up just takes a few minutes. You’ll thank me once you don’t have to type up the same email over and over again. ;)
Enable “Canned Response” feature in Gmail
1. First we need to turn on this feature. To do this go to the “Gear Icon” on the right hand side and select “Settings”.
2. When you are on the “Settings” page select the “Labs” tab. In the search box that appears in the “Lab” section, search for “Canned Responses”. When it appears click on “Enable” to turn on this feature.
– – – – –
Now let’s create some canned responses that will save you time! I always suggest create responses for things that frequently come up. For example I have one setup for anyone requesting information about my work and process.
Its a general email with the important details that I need to share. And I know that no one likes to receive a general email, so I of course always personalize it. Small things such as a different greeting or addressing specific needs the client has makes the email much more personable. At the end it still saves me time because I know that some of the important details are already typed within the canned response.
I also love using this for general questions that clients sometimes have such as how to create a blog post or update their blog’s password.
Creating a Canned Response in Gmail
1. We will start by selecting “Compose” to create the new email template.
2. Type the email you want as a canned response.
3. Once you finished the email, you will click on the down arrow on the lower right hand. Hover over “Canned Responses” then select “New Canned Response…”
4. A pop-up will appear asking your for you to name this response. Name the response and click “Ok”.
– – – – –
Using Canned Responses within an email.
1. You can use a canned response within a new email or a reply. You can start by selecting “Compose” if its a new email or hit “Reply” to respond to a recent email.
2. Click on the down arrow on the lower right hand. Hover over “Canned Responses” then select the template you want to use within the “Insert” section.
3. Once you select the response it will appear within your email. Add any additional information necessary and just hit send! :)
– – – – –
And thats a wrap! Hopefully this tutorial helps you setup your canned responses and saves you plenty of time! Don’t forget to check out my other blog + business tutorials.
Got a tutorial you would like to see? Just leave it in the comments and I can add it to my list!