A few months ago I made meringue for the very first time and loved the results so I decided to give this cookie a little makeover with some rose syrup and almonds. I love the end results. A very subtle rose taste added to the already delicious meringue cookie and an extra crunch with the sprinkled almonds right on top. Totally amazing! My only regret is not adding a drop or two of food coloring to give it a rose color.
Rose & Almond Meringue Cookies
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon pure rose syrup
About 1/8 cup of crushed almonds
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In your mixer bowl (using the whisk attachment) mix the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Mix until the egg whites can hold a soft peak.
3. Slowly add the sugar to the mixture. Continue mixing on high speed until the meringue can form stiff peaks. Mix in the rose syrup.
4. You can then use a pastry bag (or two spoons like I did) and place cookies on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle crushed almonds on top of the meringues.
5. Bake meringues for about 1.5 hours. Rotate the baking sheet about half way through for even baking.
6. Meringues will be ready once fairly crisp. Turn off the oven and allow the meringue to cool off in the oven (about 2 hours).
7. Once cool take them out of the oven and enjoy!
Image by Blush + Jelly